Monday, July 18, 2011

Week 8: Off to Canada!

For the past week most sports fans have been focused on the Women's World Soccer Cup. I'll admit, that final game was both thrilling and heartbreaking. But there is another World Championship going on this week, albeit with decidedly less media attention, the Under 25 Women's Wheelchair Basketball World Championships. How do I know? I'm here in Ontario, Canada competing on team USA.

I was chosen for the team in April following a national try-out in Denver, Colorado. I've been training, mostly only my own for the past few months as our team is made up of girls from all over the country. I jetted off from DC this week to meet up with everyone and play some basketball!

Being here has been such an incredible experience so far. Getting to play with and against some of the best women's players in the world is awe-inspiring. So far, team USA is undefeated in pool play- beating Mexico, Australia, and Great Britain. We had a day off today and got to do a bit of sightseeing at Niagara Falls. Tomorrow we take on South Africa in the quarterfinals.

Here is the link in case you want to follow along. http://www.u25wwbc.com/

I can't really describe what an incredible feeling it is to represent my country. Every time I put on my USA jersey I get chills. I think my time spent in DC has really added to that feeling. I have never in my life been so proud to be an American.

I feel so fortunate for both of the amazing opportunities I have had this summer. Hopefully, by the next time I write a blog post I will be back in DC with a gold medal around my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.