Saturday, July 16, 2011

Another Week of Work and AAPD Adventures

This week I had a variety of events through both work and AAPD. Tuesday, AAPD hosted a meet and greet with their new CEO Mark Perriello. Even though I did not get to personally meet Mark it was nice to check out AAPD’s office. Wednesday I spent much of the day editing my part of the DOT-wide Resource for Hiring People with Disabilities, which is almost complete. Thursday I took half a day off of work and participated in the NCIL Rally. It was my first experience with something like this and it was an amazing experience. I can see myself coming back to do this again. After marching from the Grand Hyatt I had the pleasure of hearing many disability advocates address the crowd. As I sat under the trees and looked around it was an amazing sight to see everyone so fired up about issues that affect us all. Afterwards we had pictures taken with Senator Harkin and Yoshiko Dart. Friday I attended a meeting for all the DOT interns to give them information on how to become DOT employees. Saturday I finally got to go to the Library of Congress which has been on my list since I got here. With only three weeks to go, I feel like I still have so many things I want to do before I leave.

Posted by Matthew Shapiro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.