Friday, July 22, 2011

9th Week, 9th Blog

The scorching sun sneaked through my pink buttoned up blouse. My black shades covered my eyes as I inhaled and exhaled the heat.

I remember the hot days in Iraq as the sandstorms whipped up the air. The hottest hour was lunch time.

The journey to the dining facility was open to fire. Carrying whale loads of weaponry and ammo was the standard with combat gear always at the ready.

There might have been a little sand in the back of my ears, but I guarantee you my M-16A2 Rifle was always clean.

I had a special way of cleaning my weapons that did kept my fellow battle buddies alive. Simple Green works wonders, along with q-tips and baby wipes.

Thanks mom for the several care packages that you sent with those supplies and much more! They helped my missions stay safe.

Dissembling and reassembling my weapon became an art of its own form. It depended on me to keep it clean and I relied on it for safety of lives.

My battle buddy and I took turns sleeping in the sand after we dug our fighting positions with our Army green entrenching tools.

The hole is dead quiet, listening, waiting, but always alert and scanning the area.

My pockets have pokey bait. Grandma sent me peanut butter granola bars. I give half to my battle buddy. He's in the infantry and doesn't get care packages from back home.

We don't know the next time we are going to eat chow, but we do know what we are supposed to shoot at. That's why we are here in this hole, not to eat the buffet, but I most definitely appreciate the snacks from my grandma.

I've got my compass near by and my flashlight too. My dog tags are sticking to my chest.

I see something moving. I nudge my battle buddy. Quick like a bunny he wakes and gets his weapon in focus.

It's our Sergeant. He says we did so good on our shift we get to move on to another hole, but wait this one is a five star hole. It's got extra sandbags.

Hooah!

-Krista Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.