Sunday, July 31, 2011

Blog 10-Inching closer to the end

The clock is ticking, and I just can’t believe it. This program has been an incredible experience, and I know there’s still a week left, but the JFA event made it seem all so official. I’ve made so many great memories, met so many awesome people, and learned so much. Life changes so much in a few months, indeed. I think what I’ll take away from this internship experience are the ever changing professionalism, an increased eye for detail, and a greater understanding of when to take a risk and when to take a stop back. I have always struggled with creating a balance in my life, I oscillated between two extremes, either flying around and doing anything and everything or sitting alone and philosophizing. I’m beginning to see what life is like in the world of Washington, and I am eternally grateful to this program for the opportunity to explore and let me develop my own process, I don’t need someone to tell me what to do. Guidance and support are appreciated and necessary, but I need to blaze my own trail, and I got a taste of what I’d like to do, and yes, a return to Washington may be a part of that. Stay tuned for more updates on Hamza Inc. Work is going well, and we’re all reaching critical mass right now for the preparation of the National Diversity Forum, a project our office has been working on for close to three years now. It’s supposed to be a conference examining the intersections of disability, diversity and business, and we’re bringing leaders from everywhere in to help lay the groundwork for a sustainable plan for greater disability employment. I can’t wait to work behind the scenes at this awesome event, and it’ll be fun to see all the work we put in come to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.