Friday, July 8, 2011

Remember to Exhale ---By Margie

Wow! I feel incredibly lucky!! Everything seems to be a whirlwind. We’ve passed the halfway mark so it is time for a little reflection. I haven’t been keeping up with my journaling as I should so here it is on the World Wide Web….

CRC EXAM!
I am taking the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor exam tomorrow, Saturday July 9th. “The CRC Exam consists of 175 multiple-choice questions administered during an allotted 3½ hours within an 8-day testing window. Candidates should set aside four hours, which includes time for check-in, instructions, and a practice session on the computer in order for candidates to become familiar with the computer system.” From the official CRC website.
I have been studying for this exam since February alone and also with a classmate of mine from the Illinois Institute of Technology. I will be graduating from the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) this December of 2011 with a Master’s of Science degree in Rehabilitation Counseling with a certificate specializing in psychiatric rehabilitation. I am looking to start my career in Chicago, Washington DC, or any other location in the United States. I speak fluent Spanish.

I have absolutely loved my experiences at IIT, internships at Thresholds and Veteran Affairs Hospital at Hines, the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and most recently, at the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA)!
NCIL Conference!

NCIL stands for National Council on Independent Living. “As a membership organization, NCIL advances independent living and the rights of people with disabilities through consumer-driven advocacy. NCIL envisions a world in which
people with disabilities are valued equally and participate fully.” From NCIL website.


Why is NCIL important to me?
As a future rehabilitation counselor, I am interested in the independent living movement, especially helping people with psychiatric disabilities to get out of nursing homes. I am excited to learn more this upcoming week!
This conference stretches from the orientation session on Tuesday July12, 2011 to Saturday July16, 2011.

A big thank you goes to Yoshiko Dart whose generous sponsorship allowed me to attend! Another big thank you to my supervisor at RSA who graciously allowed me time off to attend this important conference!

For more information or to register for the 2011 NCIL Conference:
http://www.ncil.org/

Rehabilitation Services Administration!

I have been interning at RSA since May 31, 2011 and it has been an amazing experience! I have met and talked with both Arne Duncan, Secretary of Education and Joanne Weiss, Duncan’s chief of staff. I have been working on some interesting projects and am learning about Schedule A hiring. Schedule A is a way the government can noncompetitively hire people with disabilities---physical, mental or intellectual.

For more info click here:
http://www.opm.gov/disability/

That’s all for now---have to go study!!!
Margie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.