Sunday, July 31, 2011

Steph and Emily told me to write about them so ...

This week I did many things, including going to an event at the White House for interns with disabilities, attending AAPD’s ADA celebration on Capitol Hill, visiting the top of the Washington Monument for the first time, and randomly running into Judy Heumann on the street, but by far, the highlight of the week has been socializing with my roommate Emily and fellow intern Steph. Steph and Emily are two of the funniest and most fun-loving people I know and we always have a great time when we are together. Tonight what was supposed to be a quick trip to the SafeWay turned into a humorous adventure followed by laughs and stories in our apartment for several hours. Those two are crazy chicas and they have made my time in DC infinitely more enjoyable.

One of the most valuable things to come out of my time in Washington has been the amazing people I have met. I came to the capitol to gain work experience and disability policy knowledge and to create networks with people in the disability policy field, but I have appreciated my chance to meet so many amazing interns. Once we are done in DC I will miss the chance to socialize and learn from such a great group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.