Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th in the mountains

This week I had a really relaxing weekend in DC. I spent my weekend in the Virginia countryside. It is so hard to imagine that less than an hour away is lush pastures, horses, and wilderness. I spent my weekend hiking, biking, and relaxing. My favorite part of the weekend was visiting the Shenandoah Mountains and Luray Caverns. In one day I went to the highest peak in the Shenandoah’s and the lowest point in the Caverns! Although I didn’t spend my day on the Mall with my fellow interns, I still felt a wave of patriotism in the Virginia wilderness. It is so amazing to be surrounded in the awesome beauty of this country!
Outside of my weekend getaway, I spent my week busy at work. The best part of the week was attending an American Constitution Society meeting. The meeting was a Supreme Court Review; some of the leading Supreme Court attorneys discussed the courts decisions. It was really fascinating to hear them interpret the decisions and justices’ writings. One of the recurring themes was the Court’s protection of individual rights, particularly first amendment rights. It will be interesting to see how (or if) this will affect people with disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.