Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July

The work was quite interesting. My supervisor was back from vacation, but one of my co-workers went on vacation this week. My supervisor and I had a meeting with AAPD, and we were interviewed on video tape. This is a good opportunity for AAPD to promote the summer internship program in the future. This week, I particularly enjoyed teaching one of my co-workers sign language, which she seems very motivated to learn.

This weekend was a lot of fun. A good friend came to visit and it was her first time in D.C. Of course I showed her around by going to museums, the mall, eating good food, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Chinatown and lastly fireworks.

One morning, we woke up really early to be able to get the tickets to go inside the Washington Monument and wow, it was a lot of fun. It is such a beautiful sight from the top of the monument. We went to two different museums, the Holocaust museum which is very good and also an emotional experience and also the Museum of Natural History. That museum was fun, and there is an amazing butterfly pavilion. The museums are free to enter which I’d encourage you to take advantage of. However for the butterfly pavilion we needed tickets, and it was highly recommended to purchase tickets in advance. The Museum also has an IMAX theatre. I know for sure that in the future, I will bring my kids back to D.C. for fun. This is a good vacation with the family and to explain history.

Georgetown Cupcakes is a wonderful place to try! We choose 6 cupcakes, and all of them were very delicious, yummy. If you have not been there yet, I’d highly recommend that try at least once this summer. Georgetown is a nice place to walk around and to shop. Also, it is walking distance from George Washington University, maybe 20-25 minutes to walk, not bad at all since there is no train there, only the bus.

Something I finally dreamed of came true - to witness the firework while being at the mall in Washington, D.C., wow. The place where I am staying is a perfect for walking to the mall, no need to use the metro at all. I was there with a group of friends that I have not seen for a while and it was good to catch up. This is a weekend I won’t forget. :)

Tomorrow, I am taking my friend who will fly back tomorrow to the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court and Gallaudet University. I hope the time will permit, so let’s see.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.