Sunday, July 8, 2012

Week 6


Really hitting my stride now at work, I feel. Finally really feel engaged in things. Considering that the internship is halfway through, I’m glad I’ve reached this point. I am also really feeling that I am starting to gain a good working knowledge of the issues at hand. Talked to my grandparents on the phone tonight as was able to intelligently (I hope) explain to them some reasons why disability applications are on the rise for the Social Security system. Certainly not something I could have done a mouth ago. It is also fun to be working on the very issues that are in the news.

Anyways, what else to report... The halfway marker has inspired me to do some more networking recently then in the beginning of my time in DC. Trying to make some connections before I leave and while I still have a title to tell people when they ask. Soon enough it will be back to the ambiguous “student.” But I don’t want to diminish the present by looking too fare ahead. The truth is my internship could hardly be improved upon. I am learning a lot. Doing what feels like meaningful work—what Zoe called “meaningful grunt work.” More importantly I feel I am actually contributing to the good work that NCD is doing.

The weekends could always be longer. But it will feel good to get back to the Office tomorrow and continue what I am doing. I’ll have some knew projects coming up this week and another weekend to look forward to as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.