Sunday, July 15, 2012

D.C. in D.C. week 7: Things are Truly Getting Better and Better

First and foremost, I give all the Honor and Glory to God! I thank Him for putting it in the hearts of the people from AAPD who gave me the tremendous pleasure of coming here this summer which lead to the FSIS Intern Program at the USDA allowing me to be placed in their awesome program, and Dr. Jesse Bemley from JEF, Inc. who took me into his program and allowed me to work on Computer Science- based projects at his center. One other interesting thing I also have to give God Thanks for is that I am a 2012 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Scholarship Recipient! So, just as lasts' week title complemented the topic of it's blog, this week's blog title is befitting as well; Things truly are getting better and better!

I cannot describe the emotions that I feel as all these things continue to bloom in my life now and that will ultimately boost my success respectfully in the next three years for sure (in Ben's voice lol)! Although I still do not have my debit card despite having it expedited (2 day shipping) is a tad bit frustrating, the good definitely outweighs that little bit of bad, so I won't complain too much, after all, it is what it is (me and Ben again) . So, I will be busy for the weeks leading up to and beyond our last days here in DC and I apologize the my fellow AAPDers for not being able to hang out like we used to. My schedule is truly jam packed with activities from AAPD, USDA, JEF, and now GHC (I am now officially a fan of ACRONYMS and my daily world revolves around them!): I have to prepare for the Resume Workshop because I definitely have things I need to tweak/add to it, a scheduled tour of the Pentagon to get some vital contacts, a project that a fellow JEF member and I will be presenting at the Nation BDPA Conference in August, and now prepare for the GHC Conference in October! God is Good!!!

Honestly, I am kind of glad that this is week 7 and it is almost time to go home. Not because I am not enjoying my time here but just because I miss my family. Yes, I am homesick! I see on my Facebook and hear on the phone that everyone misses me and wants to know how long it will be until I come back. Now if you read an earlier blog post of mine I mentioned staying here for good because it is not much to go back to Canton, Ohio for besides school and my family. I feel like I need to go home and get my degrees while I do internships (fall/spring/summer) until I am ready to do Washington, DC on the big stage. I've met people like Joyce Bender and Mary Brougher, taken pictures with Senators Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH), and even had a conversation with The Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, so I think it is safe to say that I have a great chance to make it back to Washington, DC when I graduate! I am still focusing on working for the Federal Government, maybe for the Pentagon, NSA (National Security Agency) or even DHS (Department of Homeland Security) upon said graduation but I wouldn't mind if I got a job at Northrup-Grumman, Boeing or Lockheed Martin in the private sector though either. I am honored to be able to represent AAPD in DC this summer. I am honored to be able to attend numerous conferences this year, and I am honored to be able to represent my city, Canton, OH on such a major scale. Through these things, I hope to inspire the youth and my friends back home/all over that you can do anything you put your mind to. Stay Blessed!

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.