Monday, July 9, 2012

A Fantastic Fourth of July


I think my fellow interns would agree that there is no better place to be on the Fourth of July than the Nation’s Capitol. My day began by listening to a reading of the Declaration of Independence on the steps of the National Archives and watching a parade on Constitution Avenue. A parade of unicycles, motorcycles, floats, and marching bands strolled down the street lined with red and blue spectators. After the parade, we decided to take a break from the intense heat and visit the American History Museum—the perfect place to visit on such a historical day for our country.  Our lunch was enjoyed on the lawn of the National Mall and fireworks and a concert on Capitol Hill topped off the evening.  As I sat on Capitol Hill with a fantastic group of friends, I looked over my shoulder during the National Anthem and a wave of patriotism swept over me, for I was completely surrounded by a an endless sea of red, white, and blue.  We stood unified with our hands on our hearts. I was proud to be an American.  We were ALL proud to be Americans.
The crowd at the concert on Capitol Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.