Sunday, July 22, 2012

work at DHS and other aspects of life


This has been a good week.  Every day I would get up around 5:30/6 to get ready for work.  Fortunately though, it only takes 20 minutes to get there, and I always end up being early.  It has given me the opportunity to get good breakfasts. These breakfasts mostly came from Starbucks.  I am not exactly proud of that fact, but I must say The Everything Bagel is delicious.  And I bought a bunch of food from Whole Foods today, so I will be having breakfast at my house anyway.

Work itself has been very interesting.  I have made copies, printed copies, etc.  I have also gotten to know everyone in the office, who continue to treat me very well.  I have also been training myself. I know that people have gotten frustrated with work after a time, and by devising a series of mental tricks, I feel I can keep myself going no matter the assignment.  I worked on this throughout the week and finished polishing it this weekend.  I feel really excited for this upcoming week.

I also had a great meeting with Joyce Bender this week.  I got some great advice, not only about jobs but about a confidence building exercise she suggested I try.  I am glad she is such a good friend to the AAPD.    

This week has also seen me preparing for moving to my new place.  My fiancée and I have been attempting to get out to where we will be living after the AAPD internship to get stuff done.  For various reasons we have been unable to get out to where we will be living until yesterday.  Still, we finally did.  It feels serial.  This will be the first place unsupported by my folks that I live in.  It will truly be our own.  Other than that , we went to a wedding of friends of my fiancée and I which was also fun.



Here’s to another great week.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.