Sunday, July 29, 2012

Simplicity

My weekend has been one of the best I’ve had in DC thus far. I didn’t eat fancy meals or attend important events. I didn’t meet any prominent political figures or build my network. I did absolutely nothing productive, and I’m absolutely with fine that. Sometimes simplicity is bliss.

Instead of rushing to the metro on a time crunch, I kept near the apartment without a set schedule and checked out the local entertainment that the area had to offer. While seeing monuments, visiting museums, and shopping are great ways to spend time in DC, one must not forget to relax, and most DC interns would agree that open schedules and carefree weekends don’t happen very often. I’ve stayed up late playing card games and watching movies with the other interns and have slept in until at least 1:00 p.m. each day. Enjoying fresh air outside in the sunshine, a group of us gathered in the courtyard to socialize and compare our experiences. I must say that I wish we interns had more opportunities to come together and chat about our best and worst moments this summer—our successes and challenges at our internship sites and with the program itself. During our conversations, I felt like we were a group unified by our passion for advocacy. My class of interns is a strong support system that won’t be broken when we part our separate ways. We are the future of the disability community, and from what I can tell, the future looks promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.