Monday, July 2, 2012

Clearly, I'm not from here...

As we reach the halfway point of our summer in D.C., I think of how to make the remaining time most meaningful. Networking is at the core of D.C., but my business cards are not going to make a lasting impression of those I have met. A persons personality, charm, and whit, is what people remember.

One day, I was headed to the elevator on the metro and held the door for a lady walking a few feet behind me. Once we get to the second level, we exited the elevator and went our separate ways. I then headed toward the next elevator only to find the same lady there holding the doors open for me.

 "You're not from here, are you?” she asked.

A little embarrassed, I replied, "No, I'm not - I'm from Kansas. How could you tell I wasn't a Washingtonian?"

"You have manners.” she giggled as she waved goodbye.

If having manners is what sets me apart from the crowd, I am honored, as always to be different. I think it’s important that we always remember that we are ambassadors to the communities we represent, and that our actions matter just as much as our words.

Best,
Shawn



No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.