Friday, July 6, 2012

Independence Day

Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays because of many reasons. For one, it happens during the summer, which means bbq's, swimming, camping, which is all done with family and friends. Not to mention, the awesome fireworks, which gets even better when you're the one shooting them off. This year, I was able to spend the fourth of July with some awesome friends in the nation's capitol, Washington D.C. I did not have my family with me (Everyone is scattered at the moment: AJ in London and family in Utah, California, and New York), but I'm glad I had these friends with me because they're practically my family.

 In the morning, we braved the crazy heat and humidity and made it to the National Archives where descendants of our founding fathers read the Declaration of Independence. I felt a little emotional thinking of the sacrifice that was put in by the founding fathers to provide a wonderful nation for those in the future to live in. I know they were inspired people who wrote and signed this historical document.  

 After, we continued on Constitution Ave and found a place under a tree, laid down our red blanket and prepared for the parade. We saw so many cool floats and marching bands. My favorites were unicyclers and the military band. The cyclers were amazing, some cycled on three wheels stacked on each other, others (children) cycled and held hands. There were even those on the huge wheels. SOOOO COOL! FYI: Those in wheelchairs should can go out to the edge of the street, but be sure to bring sunscreen. Also, beware because people will stand up the whole time.


I just have to say how much I love and admire military men...not just because they cute and strong and they have awesome uniforms, but because they do so much for our nation. I've been talking a lot to some of my good friends who are in the military and am learning so much about their experiences and about the military. I'm just so thankful of these men who, during deployment, put their life on hold, sacrifice being with their families, pursuing an education and career, and sometimes their well-being and even their lives, in order to serve and protect their country. I don't understand war and I hate the aftermath, pain and agony it leaves behind, but I support our troops. I support these courageous men and women.


 Later that evening, we met up with my friends from Utah, Nate and Tara to watch the concert held at the Capitol. Other friends from AAPD showed up as well at the wheelchair accessible section of the Capitol's stage. We had a hoot and a great view behind the family of the military men. Some guys from the Marine Corps offered to take a picture with us in their snazzy uniforms. The performance was hosted by the guy from "America's Funniest Home Videos." We got to see so many celebrities perform such as Kool and the Gang (They sing "Celebrate good times," and "Ladies' Night"), Mathew Broderick (Ferris Bueller and Inspector Gadget), Phillip Phillips (American Idol winner), Apollo Ohno and other Olympians this year, etc. It was so cool! 




After, we rushed to Washington Monument to watch the amazing fireworks. It was so cool to be able to see them fill up the sky coming from the Capitol. The blasts were amazing and colorful and so much fun to watch. I loved the weeping willows because it was so huge and left beautiful streaks.


Awesome picture by my friend, Tara Hall

I'm so grateful to live in such a wonderful country, one amongst many.  I'm glad to be able to celebrate the birth of our nation in the capitol.  I'm grateful for the automatic love and kinship I share with other citizens of this country.  It's like being part of a team that will keep cheering you on.  I feel that every citizen of every country must feel the same sense of pride for their people and country (at least for the ones that have their heads on straight--ignorant meat heads, loud mouths, and drunks not included. jk).  It's important to have something to believe in, and I believe in God and my country.  Thanks to those who are great representatives and who fight to preserve freedom of all sorts.  THANK YOU!!!
I love this country and I'm proud to be an American girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.