Sunday, July 8, 2012

Confessions of a Conformer

What happens when we don't conform? This is a question we should all be asking ourselves, because our sheer existence doesn't conform. There is the Norm and then the Non, which I find highly ironic given that the idea of normality didn't exist until the 19th century. That's right. Normality is a fraud posing as a wanna-be-historic-presence. But really, normality is a trend setter, and a terrible one at that. Boring.

Yet, there it/they is.

Normality. Conformity.

It/they.
The ideologies--skin itch.
GROSS.

Normality. Conformity.

Follow the leader tendencies--brain washed.
BLAND. 

Sitting in a pizza shop called the "Mellow Mushroom" with Phred and swaying our heads to the sound of the reggae rhythm I am eased back into my roots. Nestled, really. And happy. Disability activism and culture is a way of life that I have never taken lightly. I have also always approached it with a style of flare. Often, people say, "tone down." Within the last two years I've bumped into their wall. I wobble. Then I look at the wall placed in front of me. I bow. Respect its wishes. Stop where I am told. I am the worst type of activist. I am a conformer in disguise.

Yes!

It's true.
I am no better than Norm.

Disbelief. Shame. When did I start taking orders from this perspective?

But tonight is different. Phred and I are planning a revolution. There will be no boundaries. I am speaking my mind and she is worrying about me getting us ostracized and I tell her not to worry because, "all the great activists have been blacklisted."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.