Monday, July 30, 2012

Second till the end

 And so the internship winds down.  It has been a very interesting summer.  I have been immersed in education about the fight for equality that the disabled community has gone through.  I have read court cases, and seen the Hill in action.  And I am working for the Department of Homeland Security.   I have made friends and had time to think and reflect.  I really feel I have grown this summer.
Speaking of the internship, things continue to go well.  I go through my assignments each day and then head home.  It remains a very nice environment to have a job (well internship in). 
In terms of my personal life, that too is coming together.  I have a place to live in after the summer is over, and I have already dropped stuff off.  I feel a sense of excitement about the future, really feeling like an adult.  It will be a completely new experience for me, as I roomed at the dorms all four years of my college experience at American University.  I am excited, nervous, and also determined to be on top of the minutia of my day to day experiences in the world of adults.
This week, I also had a great intern experience with the ADA Anniversary celebration.  It was great to see old friends there and to once again sit in that magnificent room.  I also got a copy of Amazing Gifts by Mark I. Pinksy.  I cant wait to dive into it.  I also got to see my mentor and agree to see each other after work this week for dinner.
Things have gone really well.  But I am also a little bit nervous.  I hope that I find work after the AAPD internship is done.   Well, there is still some time, and I should probably run!  See you all next week for what I think will be the last post as an intern.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.