Sunday, July 8, 2012

Red Light, Green Light

This week I finally got to slow down a bit at the office, and speed up in my experiences around DC. This week the House of Representatives was out of session due to the 4th of July holiday, which meant everyone in the office got to slow down and take a few breaths. My internship so far has been a marathon, and I was starting to get a bit winded. I took full advantage of this week, attending the Washington Nationals game vs. the San Francisco Giants on the Fourth of July, the “Capitol Fourth” Concert on the National Mall, and another Washington Nationals game on Sunday vs. the Colorado Rockies. I love baseball, and it was great to get out and spend a day at the ballpark. My best friend John bought us tickets to the game on the 4th for my birthday, and it was awesome! Even though it was incredibly hot outside we had a great time, and it was an awesome birthday present. To top it off, the Nationals won 9-4 after hitting four home runs in the game. The 4th of July in our nation’s capital is quite awe-inspiring. Being one of the tens of thousands of people (from all over the world, not just the USA) to pack the west lawn of the Capitol for music and fireworks was incredible. I got to listen to some great music ranging from classical to pop to broadway, and felt the united spirit of our nation. To top that off, there was an amazing fireworks display over the Washington Monument. I can’t tell you how proud I was to be an American that night. We also got to show our support for members of Team USA and Paralympic Team USA, and I felt so much pride seeing the members of Paralympic team garner the most applause from the thousands on hand. It truly was an incredible experience. To end this amazing week, I went to the Nationals game on Sunday vs. the Colorado Rockies. This game was my birthday present from my parents…they know me so well. Our seats for this game were in the shade, which made the heat much more bearable. Even though the Nats lost by a run in the end, I had a great time. I had a great week, and can’t wait to spend the rest of my summer having a ball in our nation’s capital. Until next time, Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.