Sunday, July 22, 2012

Reporting an Awesome Week

I have had another wonderful week in D.C.-- simple and sweet, just as summer should be.  On Monday, I went to the Screen on the Green at the National Mall with some friends and watched the classic movie, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (filmed in Utah).  It was awesome!  It was so nice to lay a blanket down on the grass and watch a movie on the big screen outside in the open space.  The movie was very enjoyable with great one liners, plot, and who could ever resist Butch?  Best of all, we could see the Capitol be the screen in the background. 

On Thursday, I attended a brown bag lunch held by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and learned useful information regarding the various capacities those on the panel have served-- at political campaigns, human rights non-profit, federal agency, think tank, etc.  They said a lot of the work they are doing could have been done withouta law degree, and that there is value in seeking as much experience as possible in areas of interests.  Many of their necessary and useful skills were acquired through internships, which makes me happy because I can check that off on the list of to-do's.  I've been debating whether or not to go the law school route or seek for a joint degree--MPH and JD, so attending this panel has given me great insight.  I was also told to take risks, but which should choose to take since there are so many great options?  Thus, the exploration continues...

I also attended a meeting at the American Institute of Research, which is an organization that is contracted to conduct research on various topics such as health, education, international development, etc. and improve them.  I was warmly welcomed as an AAPD intern and met such personable staff members.  I became very impressed by the projects that were described and hope to learn more about them.

Work at Disability Rights International continues as there is always so much work for the organization to do at home and abroad.  I'm gaining more and more respect for those of the non-profit sector because of the persistence and diligence required for success and action.  There's so much to do to preserve the basic rights of people, but so little resources.  I'm glad I can be a part of the work.  I am currently working with my boss on researching information and references on children with disabilities living in institutions abroad to be published in the UNICEF year end report.  How exciting!

I love having the GW pool at my disposal because swimming has been super fun and therapeutic after work.  I'm truly enjoying a healthier summer workout than any other along with wheeling to and from DuPont Circle everyday.  This is great physical preparation for my trek around Europe this coming fall.  The highlight of this week is learning how to get in and out of the pool all by myself!

Finally, I met up with some friends to watch the opening of "The Dark Knight Rises."  It was so AWESOME!! I loved the story and how it tied in so well with previous films, although it could easily be a stand-alone film.  Christopher Nolan did a great job in ending the series, and I'm SO sad it's the end!  I love Christian Bale as Batman (since high school) and I'm going to miss him!! This film is a definite must-see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.