Sunday, July 1, 2012

What does making a difference mean?  I mean, I know that I want to make a difference in people's lives, but what does that really mean?  And what kind of a difference can I make?  I want so badly to help others.  I always have.  My parents say that even when I was teeny tiny I was doing things to help others.  I also want to give back to the world what I have received from so many people along the way.  Yes, I have been discriminated against, and stigmatized, but so too have I had people help me along the way.  Often I have sought out that help, but it has been given.  I want to be able to help others, too.  I want to be one of those individuals who change the course of peoples' lives, and most of them may not know my name or that I even exist, and that is perfectly fine with me, as long as their lives are better.

For a long time I though I would make a difference through counseling, and don't get me wrong, I loved the counseling part, I did not like the hours of my previous job that had me doing counseling.  I was working all the time, and I was having difficulty separating my life from work life, when most of my life was work life and yet I couldn't share that life with my family.  I had to keep confidentiality (which I totally believe in), but it mean that I was losing a big part of me, because I was losing that family part. 

I decided there was more that I could do at a macro level.  I figured that I could touch more peoples' lives by doing policy and advocacy work than I could doing therapy at a community level where I was starting to feel miserable.  I decided that my stage needed to be bigger.  I have been learning about disability at a global level.  I have been learning how people are treated around the world.  I cannot sit back and let the things happen that I have learned about.  If I do not try to do something about them, I do not know how I could live with myself.  I have to at least try to get things changed, even if I can only make small changes.

Small changes is what I need to remind myself of when I get frustrated or concerned that I am not making a difference.  I have been upset recently, thinking that I have not been making a difference with my time here in D.C. and Dana asked me to rethink that a little bit.  She is right.  I came to D.C. from Iowa, where I had been almost totally isolated from the disability advocacy world.  That does not mean that it is non-existent there, it means I did not know how to access it there.  I have met so many people and made so many connections while I have been here.  I now know more people in the disability world.  I need to remind myself of that and to take more advantage of those connections.  That is really what I came to D.C. to do.  I wanted to learn more about the advocacy world, to get connected, to see what it is all about.  I wanted to see if I thought this really was the right field for me.  I think that advocacy really is.  Maybe next week I will write about the big project I am working on.  It is in its infancy, but I have made some steps and that is a lot more than I could say a month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.