Monday, July 2, 2012

Independence

Considering this Wednesday is Independence Day, I decided that independence would be an appropriate theme for this week’s blog, specifically my independence and how I have become more independent since I moved to Washington D.C.  I never realized how dependent I was on other people until they weren’t there.  For example, if I wanted to go somewhere at home (Michigan), I asked my parents or other family members to drive me.  A restricted driver’s license that prevented me from driving on expressways and more than 15 miles away from my house at night created challenges with transportation.  Now that I am in Washington D.C. and my personal chauffeurs, as I jokingly call them, are hundreds of miles away, I am forced to figure out the best route to where I want to go by myself and the best form of transportation. AND I don’t have my mom here yelling, “Early is on time and on time is late. We need to leave now!” Thus, I set several alarms on my phone every night to ensure that I wake up with plenty of time to get ready and arrive at work or wherever else I need to be early.  What I miss the most is having a good set of eyes with me to read the street signs.  Before I came here, I was too stubborn to walk over to a stranger and ask for directions.  After about a week in D.C., I was able to nonchalantly say to a random person passing by, “Hey, I’m visually impaired and I have no idea where I’m going since I can’t see the street signs. Can you tell me what street I’m on and where I need to go?” (Perhaps the extreme heat helped me lose my stubbornness pretty quickly.  Wandering around aimlessly in 90 degree weather was definitely not a good idea.) Overall, it feels great to not have to worry about transportation, and I am already dreading my return to the “Motor City” because restricted licenses make driving cars difficult for persons with visual impairments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.