Monday, July 2, 2012

My Daily Walk

On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; I walk approximately 2.4 miles to commute to my internship from my home. My regular route includes walking to a bus shuttle, riding the bus, then walking past the Capitol to Longworth Office Building.

That is phenomenal for me. Since I started going to school in Washington DC two years ago, I always have watched men in their expensive suits and women in their classy three-piece suits in awe. They looked like they knew what they wanted to do with their lives whereas I did not at all.

Now, I am one of them. Kind of. I do not wear a three-piece suit to work (especially in this weather!) but I dress classy enough to blend in. I walk quick enough to keep up and I have a a bag to store my lunch, notepad, and pens. I act as if I have it all together. Everyday, I see tourists taking pictures or young college students exercising around the Hill. They do not notice me. I am a mere background to them, seeing that I am someone who walk around the Hill on a daily basis.

Yet, I am still fazed every time I walk to my internship. It seems to be unrealistic and I doubt that it will soak in anytime soon. Thank you, AAPD, for giving me this opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.