Sunday, June 5, 2011

Week Two

My second week in D.C. was a blast! I started off the week by attending the Nationals vs. Padres baseball game. Being a San Diego native, it was great to see my home team play. After the game, I was able to meet up with a fraternity brother that I haven’t seen in a year. We attended the annual Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute BBQ, where I was able to meet and network with other Latinos in the D.C. area.

On Tuesday, I started my internship at Congressman Mario Diaz-Balert’s office. First, I met his staff and familiarized myself with the office policies and procedures. The following day, I was given the opportunity to attend Capitol tour training, which was amazing. Although I had been on a Capitol tour five years prior, I still got goose bumps during my training. Just being in the building that is so rich with American history makes me proud to be an American. Additionally, while on the tour, I was able to greet Speaker Boehner while on his way from the house floor to his office. On Friday, I had a meeting with the Congressman’s Chief of Staff where I was given an assignment to draft a policy memo with regard to a proposed bill that will be up for a vote on the house floor in the near future. I am very excited to research this topic and learn more about how this bill would could change the status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.