Monday, June 20, 2011

Learning about cross disability issues

Week four, who could believe so much time has flown by! This week I had the chance to attend Inside/Out, a play by persons with disabilities about disability issues. I was fortunate enough to get free tickets through my internship. I was also able to get one of my fellow AAPD intern friends a ticket to the show. The play was wonderful in several ways.

It was great to see people with disabilities owning their disability and taking the stage. The play told the story of six people who have disabilities and one man whose mother had a disability. These individuals shared stories of what it was like to experience discrimination and how acting has empowered them. They also talked about what the word “disability” means to them. While I have my own take on some of these issues, each story was insightful in its own way. Most of the actors have physical disabilities, and it was really interesting to learn about the issues people with physical disabilities encounter.

Learning about cross disability issues through my friendships with other interns is also one of the best things about this program. My new friendships will hopefully make me an even better advocate for people with disabilities. Take physical access for example, I have never really thought about what restaurants are or aren’t accessible. This week, while going out with my friends we had a hard time finding a restaurant in the city that was accessible. Now every time I enter a restaurant or walk by a building all I can think about is whether it is accessible. This is something completely new to me. I hope as a lawyer I can start changing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.