Sunday, June 19, 2011

Staying Busy

This week I have been working on couple of different projects with my supervisor. I have been helping her to do some research. The first and most immediate project that we have been organizing is the Olmstead Decision anniversary roundtable that will be held on June 21st: just one day before the Olmstead decision Date. This event will mark the 12th year anniversary of the decision, and it will serve as an opportunity for all the different stakeholders to come together and discuss the accomplishments of the last twelve years, and to reflect on how much further we still have to go. Although the disabled in America enjoy more rights than most of their foreign counterparts, they still have a long way to go. The disabled in America still have much work to do before they can achieve full equality, so that they can have all the rights they deserve to live a fulfilled life: full of the dignity and respect due to all people.


My next project will be to put together a second roundtable to brainstorm some ideas to overcome the barriers to employment faced by the disabled in America. These barriers include misconceptions about the capabilities of the disabled, the lack of accessibility, the costs associated with providing all the accessibility, the earnings limits imposed on the disabled by disability insurance programs, and the attitudes of the larger society toward people with disabilities.


The office setting is really great, and I am learning to use all the resources at my disposal. I Attend work related functions with the other staff in my office, and I even hang out with them after work if they go out for beer or something.


This week I brought a couple of dozen Dunkin Donuts to work, and all the staff members in the office were very excited. It was all gone by the end of the day. The worse part of it was that everybody that saw me on the way to work wanted a donut. I wanted to give them donuts, but if I had given them all a donut, I wouldn’t have had any left by the time I got to work. LOL




No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.