Friday, June 17, 2011

Week 4

This week has been a busy one but I can’t complain because I am learning a lot. This week I finished my memo assignment. Although, like all assignments, I wish I could have read it over a few more times to ensure there were no typos, I am happy to have been given the opportunity to participate in the legislative process. Additionally, the proposed legislation that I wrote my memo on was up for discussion on the house floor this week. I am excited to see the whether or not the house will pass the bill.

This past Tuesday, AAPD hosted a CRPD briefing where we discussed the disability community worldwide. It was very interesting and educational. I had never really given too much thought to the global disability community. There are obviously accessibility problems worldwide that need to be addressed and remedied so that individuals with disabilities can be productive members in their community. There is a balancing issue within these developing countries. I feel that these countries are facing bigger problems like extreme poverty and starvation. In my opinion, it is vital that these countries take care of these more serious issues first prior to their allocation of their recourses to build an infrastructure that will accommodate people with disabilities. With this stated, the awareness of the global disability concerns is growing and this new and growing awareness will allow all countries to make positive changes as the world moves forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.