Saturday, June 25, 2011

5th Week, 5th Blog

Last weekend I went to Capitol Hill for the first time. The journey started by taking an air conditioned bus. I sat by two other women who casually talked with my friend and I. We soon found out that the two ladies were also going to the same place. They joined us in getting a tour of the Capital.

The outside of the Capitol caught my eye, because of it's historic grace. I felt that I was looking at a masterpiece that I had only seen in textbooks. My eyes peeled like an onion. I asked myself, "Am I really this close to the Capitol?" Getting out of my starstruck phase, I heard my friend calling my name.

The lines wrapped around outside, but we surpassed that by the power of a mighty badge. We went to U.S. Capitol's Visitor Center. There were more lines of people wanting to explore the wonders of the United States Capitol. I like them, a spectator craving for my eyes to take witness of the beauty inside the building.

Statues of various people that had a great impact on the world surrounded me. They were there in spirit, in metal. I could feel there presence. One statue in particular that stood out to me was the Helen Keller one. My friend told me that is the only statue people are allowed to touch. Looking around for security guards, I nervously rubbed my pinky on the Helen Keller statue. Lucky me, I was not asked to leave.

Our tour guide creatively told us the history about the U.S. Capitol. The phrase "walking encyclopedia of knowledge" is an understatement to describe her savvy level of insight. Needless to say, I enjoyed my afternoon.

Krista Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.