Sunday, June 12, 2011

Third Week.

Alright, so I got the third week under my belt. I have been doing constituent correspondence in my office, which is great - answering phones, sending e-mails, and helping people out with their inquiries and requests. I love helping people have a better day after they get off the phone or step out of the office! This past week I found a service that allows me to bring together all my resources under one program, which streamlines my efforts to help others - I was so thankful when I found that application! Also this week I have been an assistant to the legal counsel, getting to look up various research topics and such - I am glad to be helping around the office in whatever capacity I am needed.

Off The Hill, I have had a great week as well! I've been actively involved in church... LIFE Group (Tues.), Bible Study (Wed.), Sun (Church & Fellowship) - I've also gotten plugged into a discipleship; which is much like the AAPD mentorships... but within the church. I'm so thankful for CHBC! The worship style is a bit different compared to my church back home (liturgical vs. charismatic), Capitol Hill Baptist Church is a Southern Baptist Conference member, where as my church (Powerline Community Church) is a Non-Affiliated Pentecostal Baptist ("Bapticostal") church. I do however find immense similarities in the doctrine, and preaching style - PCC is a 9Marks body, and CHBC is the original 9Marks body (so, go figure!).

After church I went back to the National Mall to complete my self-guided 2-day tour of The Capitol, Washington Monument, White House, and surrounding memorials - it has been fantastic. I'm looking forward however to get out to Rock Creek Park and Anacosta next weekend - do some more "down-to-earth" adventuring; I eventually want to make it out of The District to The Shenandoah Valley (it looks beautiful, just from the pictures) - I just need to find a way to get there... or maybe a ZipCar? I know that I'm looking forward to being able to use the Capitol Bikeshare service, instead of having to take The Metro and walk everywhere... while I don't mind that - it is always nice to have options available.

On my down time, I've been working on my business and keeping up-to-date with family and friends back home - so not too much down time; especially with food shopping, laundry, and ironing thrown into the mix. Not to mention today I just felt the urge to vacuum, and re-arrange our apartment furniture in the commons area; with roommate input and approval of course!

Lastly, this past week I met a single mother who had a child who was in a wheelchair due to an unspecified condition. But, I was able to talk with her in the store for a good twenty minutes... I shared with her about AAPD (since she lives in The District) and what they have enabled me to do through this internship, and then we got talking about how important faith was not only to me in finding the strength to fulfill my purpose in life... but also how important it was to her in knowing the child she had adopted was all part of the plan for her life, and she was very encouraged by our discussion that night - I was so greatly full of joy that I was able to encourage her in The Lord and relate on such a personal level as someone with a disability - sharing The Hope of Christ and the promise of tomorrow, for both her and her son!

Looking forward to another amazing week full of politics, piety, and passion!

- Steven Policastro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.