Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 5

For the past week, my job at Homeland Security has been working on to create that calculator program. Unfortunately, I have been struggling to make the KeyListeners (Java programming language) work to receive input from the keyboard for the calculator program for the last week. I haven’t started working on to add the accessibility features for the calculator yet. However, I have enjoyed it anyway because it is more of a challenge and it is something new for me to learn more regarding the KeyListeners. Today will be my staff meeting and I will report my problem to all of my co-workers and to see if they can help me out a little bit about that.

Last Wednesday, I went to a deaf networking lunch with Maya and Dylan in Chinatown. We all met a lot of deaf federal employees; most of them are from the IRS. I met one from Coast Guard and two from Secret Service. It is so awesome for me to see so many deaf employees working for the Federal Government. One woman from Secret Service said that I should work there after graduation! I’m so looking forward for another luncheon for deaf employees who work under Homeland Security.

On Saturday, I went to the FDR tour, and it has been a wonderful experience for me. Before the tour, I was struggling to understand why FDR would hide his disability from America while he was a President of the United States for 4 terms (almost 16 years!). After the tour with the blind man being the guide, I finally understood that FDR would not show his disability because during these times, America would view disabled people as not suitable, like running in the office. The design of FDR Memorial was beautiful and it is right by the river facing Washington Monument.

For the upcoming week, I am so excited for the 4th of July as well because it would be my first time being in the capital of the United States. It will be so packed, but it will be so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.