Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Week 2 at AAPD


It has been two weeks since I began my communications internship at AAPD. I have finally mastered the metro system and no longer have to read the metro map to figure out where my stop is. It is a great feeling to know my way around the DC area and I feel like a true city girl now that I can confidently navigate my way around. 

A part of being an intern at AAPD includes being in attendance at meetings and on conference calls. Sitting in on  meetings, I feel more included in the organization. Being able to listen in on conference calls I now have a better idea of what AAPD does and what being an intern here includes. My start date fell right around the same time that the new president/CEO Mark Perriello started. This is a great time to start because I get to welcome him onto the staff and also get to sit in on meetings that are bringing him up to date on what is going on at AAPD. This helps me to become more involved in AAPD and to know the background of the organization and what the plans for the future are. I am excited to see what the next weeks hold for me and how I can work with staff here at AAPD to complete all the goals for the rest of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.