Sunday, June 19, 2011

Week 4: Getting in the Groove

Today marks an entire month since I have been in DC- I can't believe how fast the summer is flying by.

The theme of this week for me was really getting settled in my routine. I no longer felt like the "new kid" at work or in the city in general. For the first time, I was went to a bunch of meetings on my own- the first being on Monday. Any of my friends will tell you that navigation is definitely not one of my strong suits- they constantly make fun of my dependence on my GPS.

So I was definitely a little nervous about making my way by myself from my office to the hill solo. I found the right meeting room and succesfuly gave my 5 minute spiel hopefully without sounding too much like an intern. I was feeling pretty good about myself. That is until I was about to get on the metro headed back to the office. I felt behing my wheelchair to where I had stored my suit jacket, my one and only fancy outfit was gone. I wound up having to backtrack all the way out of the metro stop and back up a very steep street to where I had dropped it. Luckily it only cost me the a 1 dollar metro re-entrance fee, and my pride.

Besides that mishap I really enjoyed my week. I got to spend some time doing touristy things- including a trip to see some of the monuments lit up at night and also to a baseball game with my roommate to see the Nationals crush the Cardinals. I look forward to what the next month has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.