Tuesday, June 7, 2011

First week as a communications intern at AAPD

Living in upstate New York all of my life, it was an amazing opportunity to come down to DC and work with AAPD. I have worked with people with disabilities for five years now and I will be continuing that work in the fall when I make a trip across the country to work at Camphill Communities of California. The reason I applied to AAPD for the communications internship was because I wanted experience working in a different area of disabilities and seeing how to work with people living with disabilities on another level. It’s been a week since I began my internship in the AAPD office. Working as a communications intern is something new to me. While I was in college I maintained a Facebook and group page for the Student United Way group I started on the Binghamton University campus. While I had experience walking into AAPD, I didn’t realize all the great things I still had to learn to be able to fulfill all the components of my internship. For example, I will be learning how to update and maintain a website which I never thought I would get to do. I can already tell that the experiences and skills I learn while working at AAPD I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.