Sunday, June 12, 2011

Three's a crowd!

Well, It’s been an interesting first few weeks in DC. I really enjoy my work, and am adapting well to the office (with only a few verbal slip ups). I’ve been given a couple of big asssignments, not only assembling invitees, as well as compiling resource lists for each of the panels of a forum that we are organizing (which you all will certainly here about, but I don’t want to spoil the surprise, or give incorrect details). My office is not only cool, but it’s also very diverse, with people from all walks of life down there, and everyone has interesting stories to share. I find the only negative thing about going to work would have to be the DC heat. Maan, it is crazy hot out here. Thankfully, I’m not required to wear a suit everyday, If I did, I’d probably be carrying three bottles of water wherever I went, which would make it impossible for me to drive my chair. I also have enjoyed visiting many of DC’s tourist sites, and found the FDR memorial to be my favorite, it was incredibly accessible and even was brailled pretty well, but no reference to FDR’s disability. I suppose it should no longer surprise me, but it always seems to be a point of sadness whenever I think about FDR and the American media’s approach to disability during this time period, which is still true to many people. It’s all always about the recovery and heroism. All that aside, the monument was great, as is my work. I can’t wait to go back on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.