Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Starting my internship and sightseeing

I have finished my second week of living in DC and my first week of interning at the National Council on Disability (which is a small independent federal agency, for those who are unfamiliar). My first week consisted of meeting all the very lovely staff members and reading a lot of interesting policy papers published by NCD. Outside of my internship, I have been very busy sightseeing. I have seen the White House about a dozen times because it is on my way to and from work (it is pretty awesome to walk by it every day). This past weekend had beautiful weather so I walked around the city and saw a lot of sites with my two roommates, including the Air and Space Museum, the Sculpture Garden, the Vietnam and WWII Memorials, and the National Museum of Women in the Arts. The WWII Memorial was probably the highlight for me since it was not built the last time I was here. The best thing about all these sites – they were free – which great for a poor intern/grad student. It’s hard to believe that two weeks have already passed, but I am loving being here and socializing with the other interns. I hope to see some other great sites this week after work. In addition to that I also need to study (which is no fun, but that is the life of a grad student). Peace, Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.