Thursday, June 2, 2011

"2nd Week in DC" 2nd Blog

Hello everyone. I am tickled to say that I was able to participate on a special conference this week that helps military veterans and their families.

Bright eyed and bushy tailed without coffee mind you, I set out to meet another colleague of mine at 5:30 a.m Wednesday morning.

The conference was held in small town in West Virginia, a state that I have never been before. Sitting in the back seat riding there allowed my eyes to drift into luscious greenery of mountain high trees and flowing bodies of water.

The conference had representatives from different federal agencies attend. They were able to ping pong back and forth ideas on how to address issues of homeless veterans and helping them find employment.

First time attending such a conference I felt motivated being surrounded by people who are intrinsically involved helping homeless veterans not only getting off the streets, but finding housing and getting jobs.

When I got back from Iraq I was elated that every soldier in my unit made it back alive and I had a similar warm fuzzy feeling leaving this conference.

Coming back to Washington, DC Thursday evening I was happy to see my roommates. This weekend I plan to go guitar shopping. I am looking for a used acoustic guitar. I started playing in 3rd grade. One of my roommates plays guitar too. I am looking forward to working on some of my songs that I wrote before coming to Washington, DC.

Krista Dora

1 comment:

  1. Krista!! Even though I don't play guitar I want to hear you play too! lol but seriously that's crazy great that you were able to travel for your job and really give input to make a difference like that. I mean seriously I was real happy to hear my roomate doing such great things!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.