Thursday, June 2, 2011

The very first week in D.C.

A.A.P.D= The American Association of People with Disabilities.

I learned a lot from this program within only a week, enough said. The program itself has already inspired me and fulfilled my expectations. I always told myself, “I don’t mind working for the government someday”, and thus, I get to work in United States Department of Agriculture as my first internship this summer. This opportunity will be a RICH experience for me, as well as for other interns without a doubt. I give many thanks to Mitsubishi Electric America Foundation, The HSC Foundation, and Walmart for all of their support to make this program successful.

“Nondisabled Americans do not understand disabled ones”- Joseph P. Shapiro (page 3).
I am going to keep this simple and sweet: this is our time to shine in the world; also to show what we really are. We are capable of anything.

I must admit Pat Wright opened my eyes. I was amazed by each of her words and she touched every part of my heart. I can see why she is called, “The General”. There were a lot of good presenters out there. I am very grateful to be able to meet all of them. I gave a huge applaud to people who have fought for the disability movement in the past 60 years to make things accessible for disabilities possible. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.