Sunday, June 19, 2011

4th Week, 4th Blog

The tide was high and the sun a scorching hot blister. I ached for water as I sat on the stone steps. Black Army sunglasses covered my brown eyes.

My friends chatted about their cheese fries. Oozing away from the greasy potatoes I stretched my legs out. Tilting my head back I felt a cool breeze of air on my neck. Taking yoga like deep breaths my body began to relax. Hot, tired and hungry symptoms began to dwindle.

There were bright colorful banners that streamed freely in the entryway. Musicians with light pink wigs sang pop and oldies songs. Couples danced in the street as people scattered around. Booths provided information pamphlets, stickers, t-shirts, and bags.

Last weekend I pushed open the door to new endeavors by stepping outside of my comfort zone. I allowed my friends to take me on a journey to new territory that I have longed to discover.

I craved to try something new, but a part of me was cautious as the soldier inside of me did a self-check. I asked myself, "Did I have the proper equipment? Was my equipment functional? Did I have food and water? What were the risks of taking this journey?"

I am happy to say that over the weekend I had a chance to talk with a friend of mine from college via Skype. I met her a little over a year ago when I first started taking classes at Indiana University. Catching up with hold friends to me is like sharpening a pencil. You exchange ideas, thoughts, and give feedback, which sharpens the mind.

Krista Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.