Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 3

Two weeks ago, I started my internship placement at the National Council on Independent Living (NCIL). NCIL is the longest running cross disability national membership organization. Not only do they pursue the interests of Centers for Independent Living (CILS), but they also contribute to efforts for disability rights.

I have had the benefit of being exposed to the Independent Living Movement and philosophy and am thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to engage issues at the national level. Over the last two weeks, I have, in a sense, been shadowing the organization’s policy analyst. In my role as policy intern, I have sat in on many meetings including NCIL committee conference calls, webinars, and collaborative interorganizational meetings. I have also been given many writing tasks that included informational summaries for the membership and even the honor of drafting a tribute for an important disability rights leader who has just passed. This is a wonderful experience. Not only do I feel like I am learning a great deal, but I also feel like my existing knowledge and experience is appreciated.

This next week should be just as interesting. I get to combine policy and outreach. NCIL has launched a new facebook page and I get to assist in its development.

Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.