Friday, June 3, 2011

First Week on The Hill.

It was my first week on The Hill, how exciting it has been!

This past week I have been able to work on Capitol Hill answering phones, talking with contituents, hearing issues from the ground, getting aquainted with the government buildilng hallways and backways - it has been a great first week, albeit a learning curve. Some of it is simillar to a job I have back home... such as fielding phone calls and typing up e-mails - but I enjoy being in the office with my co-workers; they are all pleasant to work with and interesting to talk to.

Aside from work, I've been looking for a church this past week, I went to Covenant Life Church last Sunday, it was all the way out in Gaithersburg (MD), and then attended a Bible Study at Capitol Hill Baptist Church on Wednesday, the field is narrow and the choice is slim; but the decision is nonetheless difficult - I do believe I have a good idea of which church The Lord has planned me to call my family. After doing alot of research online and phone conversations. I'll know by this coming Sunday and report back on my decision. I'm glad to get plugged into a local church to call home while I'm here in Washington, DC.

While those two things are highest on my priority list (in reverse order of them being written of) I have also made time to explore The District some, I went to NoVa this week and walked around for a while, but most excitingly I was able to get to The National Mall for lunch on the lawn and view the Memorial Day Parade which was very festive! I've also been able to go to the Air & Space Museum, a few art gallaries, and the National Zoological Park thus far - I plan to visit each of the museums while I am up here; even if I decide not to tour them... I'll still go visit.

Lastly, on Wednesday night after church one of my friends and I went down to The Capitol to see it lit up in the night sky - that was beautiful! I look forward to my continued time here inside and outside of The Beltway.

- Steven Policastro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.