Sunday, June 5, 2011

I cannot be more excited!

Seriously…I don’t think my body could take it. The past ten days have been a complete whirlwind. Life has been in the fast lane since being accepted into the AAPD Washington, D.C. summer internship program three months ago. Writing a thesis, completing a master’s degree, and being placed in Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin’s office – what could be a better gradation present?

Surprisingly with only five days between my hooding (the awarding of a master’s hood) and the internship orientation there was only mild packing chaos and butterflies in the stomach. Even going through orientation for the past four days and being completely exhausted I feel nothing but honor and pride. My fellow interns are simply amazing.

This past academic year I have spent nearly every waking moment reading, interrogating, theorizing, or writing about disability identity, a process that forced me to recall the several summers after my paralysis that I spent at a camp for young people with spinal cord injuries.(I became paralyzed only months before the American's with Disability Act was signed into law, but it would be another ten years before I even became aware of the ADA). It was during these summers that I remember being allowed to escape from the shame and humiliation my new disability had created. For those weeks I was not only allowed to be a kid but I was also provided with acceptance; personally being able to accept my disability but also being accepted into a community. Twenty years have passed since my first summer camp experience and for some reason being here in D.C. elicits the same response.

We are a vibrant, diverse, and passionate group. I am humbled to feel that acceptance once again.

~Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.