Monday, June 27, 2011

A New Week of Aventures

The completion of more projects this past week has caused my bosses to find out exactly what I am capable of and they are giving me harder projects and those that are of more significance which has me thrilled and ever-dedicated to see those new projects through to the end. It was good to hear feedback of my performance thus far at a performance review meeting earlier in the week. They said many positive things about me, which has me really buckling down and thinking about working harder the next 6 weeks to keep them impressed, or even better, become more impressed with my contribution to the Commission of Mental and Physical Disability Law over this summer. I am getting to know my fellow interns in the office a bit better, learning about where they come from and probing them about their experience in law school and the preparation for it since I am planning to go to law school when I am done with my Bachelor’s. I am also starting to grow more and more comfortable with my bosses and starting to think more like them as I go through every little step/stage in my projects and imitate what questions or what comments they would make and tweak it myself before presenting the final product. I have found this to be effective in streamlining the amount of time it takes from the start of a project to the completion of it. On the work front, everything seems to be clicking on all cylinders as I type this blog. I eagerly look forward to another week of work, and strangely, I am starting to get a sad feeling thinking about how I will leave after only 10 weeks. I feel like that amount of time is too short and does not do justice to us interns, and that perhaps, I would love to stay another 2 weeks or so this summer and continue to make contributions. Maybe I am crazy for thinking the last 4 weeks of my summer is better spent here working in D.C. than going home and taking a short “breather” before my school year starts all over again. Stay tuned as I decide what I am going to do about this feeling.

-Colton Jannusch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.