Monday, June 20, 2011

WEEK 4

Thousands of pages of thousands of bills are introduced to congress each year. This week I got firsthand experience following the process. Along with members and staff of the organization I am interning with, I actually got to read draft legislation.

The organization I am interning with has been advocating for certain changes in a law for some time now. To be honest, I did not quite grasp the opportunity until I spoke with someone I have been working with. The individual compared it to actually having the opportunity to create something new. Not only is this opportunity rare, but it could potentially have an impact on the lives of people with disabilities.

I was moved by the fact that the organization’s own recommendations were incorporated in the draft legislation. Now, things are moving into the commenting phase. Individuals have the chance to further impact the eventual bill by commenting on the draft. I enjoyed the chance to participate in this process both within the organization I have been placed with and other organizational partners. I look forward to witnessing the process throughout the remainder of my internship. Perhaps one day, I will also have the opportunity to engage in similar work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.