Friday, June 3, 2011

My first week of my AAPD internship

I arrived in Washington D.C. on Sunday May 22nd filled with enthusiasm for my internship. I knew that AAPD would offer me unique learning opportunities that will greatly impact my career development. I was eager to meet new people and network with professionals and advocates at the national level. As I pulled up to the Marvin Center at George Washington University, I knew it was going to be an amazing summer.
After a week of orientation, I got a long weekend off for Memorial Day. I celebrated the holiday by visiting the Arlington National Cemetery with a group of new friends whom I meet during orientation. There is not a more appropriate day to visit the cemetery than Memorial Day. In addition to the regular exhibits such as the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, there were military personnel on site representing the different branches of the military. There was also a newly established memorial for women in service of America.
On Tuesday May 31st, I reported for duty at the Administration on Developmental Disabilities where I serve as an intern for 10 weeks. After meeting my supervisor and the staff, I knew that ADD would get me exciting and valuable work experience. I was assigned to work with the ADD staff on disability issues with Temporary Assistance for Needy Families [TANF]. This assignment began with a conference focusing on various issues with TANF which will prepare me for the job. I was already somewhat familiar with TANF but this will turn out to be a new learning opportunity for me which I look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.