Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Welcome to Washington, DC" 1st Blog

Hello everyone my name is Krista Dora. I am going into my senior year of college at Indiana University. I am a "Hoosier" native from Indiana. I served in the Active Duty Army from for 4 years from June 2005 to June 2009, and did a 15 month deployment to Iraq from October 2006 to December 2007.

Having been to Washington, DC only once before, I felt like a kid walking by a toy store and not going in. I craved to get exposed to Washington, DC's culture and vibe. I wanted to soak in the atmosphere.

I set out to achieve this goal by applying to an internship with the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD), where I would be living in Washington, DC. Upon getting accepted for this internship I was filled with joy. I was no longer a kid walking by a toy store and not going in, but an adult walking in "toy shops" stocked with federal figurines.

The first week of my internship was orientation. I enjoyed the orientation. I have met my fellow interns and am in awe of them. They are each inspiring in their own unique ways.

-Krista Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.