Friday, June 3, 2011

My Simple Perspective

The housing here is amazing. It’s the first time in 22 years I have ever had a dishwasher and lived in a situation with a two-to-one girl to bathroom ratio. You know, the important things in life. The lovely ladies, too, with whom I live are even more fantastic, providing both entertainment and a supportive community. My placement is likewise enjoyable, permitting me to research projects that are close to my heart and will hopefully lead to much needed social justice.

I know I’m fortunate. When first finding the office, I accidentally took a longer route than was necessary. I am placed near Union Station, where Amtrak rails occasionally interrupt sidewalks and periodically form tunnels. One such tunnel almost runs the entire length of a block, located just beyond where I am placed. It was cooler than being in the sun, but slightly unnerving as trains rumbled above too close for comfort. Near the end of the tunnel, lying on the concrete in the center of the path, was a man, sleeping. Beside him was his luggage against the wall. I walked by him, and he probably never knew I passed, but the reality of his subtle presence still profoundly affects me.

I don’t know his story, and I don’t know if he will ever come in contact with my placement, but I don’t think that’s what matters. The reality is that only a few short blocks from the center of policy-making, people are in need. Sure, that’s depressing, but it’s also invigorating. After all, why are we in D.C. anyway? I’m sure going to love my dishwasher, and even more the opportunity I have been given to work with some amazingly passionate people. Yet, I truly believe individual opportunity comes with an undeniable responsibility to others.

Yes, I hope to build a network of professionals this summer, but more than that, I hope to remember the “network” that is already in place. The three other interns and I are not going to be drafting legislation, but I hope that the research we do on the public policy team this summer may help in the process of protecting and strengthening our natural connections with all of society’s most marginalized members. This is what excites me the most. More than the learning and meeting, for which I am definitely grateful, I love finding the information that will hopefully allow me to pay it forward and touch another person’s life, even in the most minute way imaginable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.