Monday, June 4, 2012

Expectations


Wow! I have been in Washington D.C. for an entire week, and I feel as if I have been here only two days.  How could this be? I experience extreme difficulty sitting through a 2 hour class, yet I have spent four of these days sitting in orientation from 9:00am to 5:00pm sometimes even 6:00pm. I think expectation was the culprit this time. 

As I self-reflect, I think about beginning my journey around 5:00am anxiety ridden about moving to Washington DC for the summer and interning with an agency in my field that is comparable to being in the White House. However, I immediately begin to fantasize about my internship with AAPD.  I thought “oh my God” we have four days of orientation, what “in the world” could be talk about for that period of time.  I am sure we will be bombarded with rules along with team building exercises.  I entered orientation with high expectations from that standpoint.  But I have to say that those expectations were met with disappointment for the agenda for orientation far exceeded my high expectations.  I was delighted to hear presentations of disability history timeline, how to excel and make the most of your internship, career opportunity, networking, and presentations on the chapters in the book No Pity.  Moreover, I was assigned an extraordinary mentor to help with complex issues or just for guidance! 

Now I sit here energized and ready for the battle with EXPECTATIONS that I will succeed this summer after being equipped for the adventure during my orientation! YES!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.