Sunday, June 17, 2012

New Week, New Role

Hello all. I hope this post finds you enjoying life as much as I am. I titled this week's blog "New Week, New Role" because I took on a new role in my office. It was just my second week, but I already have to act as am experienced member of the team. I am given tasks and expected to be able to handle them on my own, having earned the respect of those in my office. This is a huge pride point for me, as "The Hill" is a very high-stress environment, and can be a lot for a person to handle. Not only am I being given important tasks, but I was asked to help train our newest intern, which made me think I must be doing something right. Every day, I am called upon to complete important tasks. Without getting too detailed, I have had to communicate with several very important people and offices. At first, these tasks made me very nervous, however now I feel completely comfortable speaking with nearly anyone. I have noticed that I am changing in ways outside the office as well. My general organization has increased, mostly due to the fact that I must be so organized at work. I have also seen a big shift in my sleeping patterns. I've found that I'm ready for bed at about 10:30 every night, and getting up early comes easy. Even on weekends, when I try to sleep in, I barely can. This isn't a bad thing, as I get to have more productive days and still feel well rested. I got to see my family this weekend, and get to show them around DC for a day which is awesome. I plan to try and take then to as many monuments as I can in a dat, as well as give them a personal tour of the capitol. My mom and sister have been to DC before, but my dad hasn't. What better Father's Day gift than getting a tour of our nation's capitol from your son? I'm sure we'll have a great time, but I don't want them to leave. I'm excited for the upcoming week and all it will bring. My Congressman's birthday was last week, and our office's celebration of it is on Tuesday. From what I've been told, there will be many powerful people stopping by the office to wish him a happy birthday, so this could be a great time to network. Hopefully I'll have great news for you next week. Until then, keep fighting for your dreams. "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.