Monday, June 4, 2012

Touching Down in DC


            Where do I even begin? This past week with the AAPD Internship Program has been a whirlwind of new experiences, new people and new knowledge. I have met so many wonderful people, and can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store for me. First off, there is the group of 2012 AAPD Interns, and what a group it is! Each person has a unique story, and getting to share with and learn from each other this past week has been awesome. Prior to this week I had little exposure to people with disabilities other than my own, and to be honest I wasn’t sure how I would feel about all of us being thrown into a room for a week. Hats off to the folks at AAPD, they really know how to bring diversity together and show us how it strengthens, not divides. I have loved getting to learn about adaptive technology and techniques that allow each of us to pursue our goals with little difficulty.

            This week I also met my mentor, Michael Winter. Michael Winter works at the Department of Transportation analyzing transportation methods. Mr. Winter travels a lot, and analyzes transportation systems in other countries. He finds the best methods from each system and attempts to integrate them into our transportation systems. Mr. Winter also, I have learned, seemingly knows EVERYONE in Washington D.C. Mr. Winter is an incredible individual, and I can’t wait to learn and grow under his care this summer. I think this was a perfect fit, and I thank the folks at AAPD for being so good at what they do.

            I will be starting my internship with the office of Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner this week, and I am extremely excited. Congressman Sensenbrenner is a central figure on Capitol Hill, and is very well respected. Congressman Sensenbrenner is very involved in judiciary issues, which is exactly what interests me. I can’t wait to get to work and start learning.

Until next week,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.