Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Summer sun: something's begun


Well, hello there!

My name is Rachel and I hail from the great state of New Jersey by way of Berlin, Germany where I am currently finishing up my MA in European Studies.  After a whirlwind weekend which involved an 8 hour flight, packing and a long drive down to D.C. in 94 degree weather (how does ANYONE get used to the humidity here, anyway?!), I finally settled into our amazing accommodations at GWU located in the aptly-named Foggy Bottom.

Less than 36 hours later, we embarked on a non-stop week of orientation-everything from Disability 101 lessons to meeting with some of the foremost groundbreaking leaders in the disability movement. All in all, it has been an eye-opening experience for me; from literary presentations to in-depth discussions, I have had the opportunity to learn more about what it means to be a disabled individual in 21st Century America.

My favorite part of last week was probably meeting the other new interns. We are geographically as diverse as our backgrounds are; there are people from New England to California to the Great Heartlands. Not only will we learn more about cultural and disability-sensitivity from each other, I will have the opportunity to become better acquainted with people who live thousands of miles away from me and—hopefully, make lifelong friends-- and have an excuse to visit them one day!

I am really looking forward to this week. Now that I have oiled up my bicycle, I have been biking around the city. Not only is it more fun that cramming together with other people in the Metro, the weather has been beautiful and the city really blooms under the non-stop sunshine. So if you see a girl with a blue helmet biking through the ‘mean streets’ of D.C., wave ‘hi’!

Although the summer has barely begun, I can already tell this will be a promising and eventful season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.