Thursday, June 21, 2012

Blog #2

The USDA has been an awesome place to intern. My supervisor has gone out of his way to make sure I am working on projects that I am interested in, as well as busy with things to do. Besides working on interesting projects, the people at the USDA are great.

One day this week, my stomach starting growling early in the day. Lucky for me, the girl in cubicle next to me recommended a little store the floor below us. I went to the store for that snack and was impressed with what I found. The store is managed and operated by a blind man. The reason I thought this was impressive was that everyone who buys from the store is on the honor system. I approached the counter to purchase my snack and had to tell him the item I was purchasing and then how much money I was giving him. I loved seeing how honest everyone was in their dealings at this little store.

I am glad to be interning at the USDA, where the people are awesome. I don't imagine that there are too many workplaces that would promote such opportunities, as well as trust their employees to not abuse their services. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenters must avoid profanity, harsh language and disparaging remarks on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability. All comments to the blog are moderated by AAPD, and can be subject to removal at any time.

Please use the comments section to engage in the ongoing dialogue between our program funders, current and former interns, our colleagues, and the broader disability community, and to respond to intern posts that intrigue you, to share your own stories, or to simply express your gratitude for being allowed into the world of our summer interns.